Total Pageviews

Sunday 22 March 2009

Bruce & training

After a warm spring Saturday Sunday followed with high winds and clouds over the Angus glens. Ryan and I thus decided not to go to Clova but we went to the warmest crag in the North East, Kirriehill, instead. Here is me climbing a 6c on which I failed on a photo taken by Brian Duthie.

After a while Bruce walked past with his dogs. Bruce is an engraver in Kirriemuire and has among other engraved the monument for Hugh Munro, the man who gave the Munros his name and who is from near Kirriemuir. Bruce had the 'I want to try that' look in his eyes. So we asked 'you want to give it a go?' and before he knew it Bruce was climbing up Kirriehill using Ryans harness...

... while his dogs where waiting nervously.

Brian and Sandy also appeared at Kirriehill but they just climb in a different league at the moment. Ryan and I then decided to head up to Long Slough just South of Aberdeen. We did two HVSs and Leaning Meanie, an E1 which I had never climbed before. Here is Ryan on the short walk to the crag with creatures of Doonies rare breeds farm avoiding Darwinian selection on the meadows below.

Here is me doing the crux of the first HVS, twisted crag.

Zigzag is a HVS that starts with a nasty overhang on relatively small holds followed by pretty tought climbing...

... before jugs appear and it joins ZigZag, the original severe.

Well, good to start the rock season...

... but maybe winter still has a wee bit to give!

HW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan, got your message yesterday. I didn't take my phone as it's broken. I also lost all the numbers. We left pretty early on Friday anyway. It was a good weekend for us but you're right it was pretty damn windy so only did one route :)
See you guys at the wall hopefully. good to see you had fun on rock! Surprised you went to kirrie tho. - dunkeld not much further in that direction!
Pete